Friday, March 16, 2012

Stink and the Midnight Zombie Walk by Megan McDonald


As a big fan of Stink and Judy Moody books I was not surprised to find that I loved this book.  What I was surprised about was that it was scary!  Not in a bad way, in a good way.  My students are always asking for scary books and now I can point them in the direction of Stink and the Midnight Zombie Walk.  This can also serve the purpose of introducing them to Megan McDonald's wonderful books and terrific characters.

The word play is fabulous.  The illustrations by Peter H. Reynolds are awesome and help move the story along.  There is enough humor to offset the scary parts.  The siblings relationship is authetic and the parents offer just enough support.  Recommended for fans of Judy and Stink or readers new to these books, students asking for scary books, second graders and up and reluctant readers.  Every school library should have this one and it's on my wish list!  Read as an ebook arc courtesy of Candlewick Press via Netgalley.

No comments: